Sunday, March 25, 2012

#blogexodus - 2 - Hametz

We're getting a new oven.  Our current one is junk, and a new one is coming.  Right in time for Pesach.  So close to Pesach, in fact, it's just being installed and immediately becoming K-for-P.  This is a problem...

When I'm stressed, I bake.

When I'm sad, I bake.

And this past year, there has been a lot of baking.

That said, a lot of really fun, ridiculous, creative baking (as evidenced on The Challah Blog which gets 10 fold the hits I get here).  But what I neglect to talk about is sometimes this longing, this need that I have to create.  To take simple, seemingly hopeless ingredients like flour, water, and yeast (and sometimes eggs, honey, and chocolate chips) and make them into something real.  Some tangible.  Something nourishing.

I have to believe that's really what life is all about... taking small, meaningless little things and fitting them together into a greater whole.  A little muscle, a little elbow grease, a little kneading into shape and you have something so much greater... something worthy of a bracha... a blessing.

And that's the end goal.  Through darkness, there is light.  Through hopelessness, which seems to cloud everything, again there is light and a blessing.

PSST!  Do you know about #blogexodus and #exodusgram?  You can learn all about it from Rabbi Phyllis... basically, it's a topic everyday leading up to Passover.  See all my #blogexodus posts here or my #exodusgram here.

2 comments:

  1. That bread looks so good. Hope you're back to baking quickly! I wish I had that sort of talent (and motivation). I need to read your Challah blog more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This one was so easy. 1 tsp instant yeast, 1 tbsp honey, dash of salt, about 1 1/2 cups of flour. Risen for 1 1/2 hours, punched down, risen 1/2 hour and baked at 400 on a stone.

    If you don't want to do any kneading, I have a great overnight no-knead that is DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete